Any significant opportunity is larger than the individual leading it. The outcome (success or failure) will impact others as well as the organization. Because great leaders look at large opportunities as responsibilities, their success rate is much higher than others. Here are a few things they do to ensure large opportunities have successful outcomes:
- They think long and hard about the opportunity before they sign up
- They check themselves for the juice they and their team have in the tank; it will be needed because things seldom go as planned.
- They make a plan and ensure they have the right team and resources
- They set up inspection points
- They celebrate the small wins and learn from the small failures along the way
Successful outcomes require great leadership and teamwork, which makes being the leader an Awesome Responsibility.